Your move has the best chance of success with some careful planning leveraging advice from other families that have moved. In the infographic and list below, here are some of the most important “do” and “don’t” moving tips to help you prepare for your household moving day.
- DO Give Yourself Time — Do give yourself plenty of time to purge in advance of your planned move date if you have clutter or are downsizing your home.
- DO Hire Licensed Movers — Do hire a licensed mover with a long list of references and check their references.
- DO Pack Carefully — Do pack heavy items such as books in small boxes, light items such as pillows and lamp shades in larger boxes. Fragile items such as crystal and china should go in extra strong “dish-pack” boxes.
- DO Label All Boxes — Do label each box you are moving with a brief description of contents and destination. Keep sandwich bags handy for little pieces of hardware and label the bags clearly. Be just as sure to label and separate items you are not moving with (by destination) such as Selling, Donating, or Trash.
- DO Be Home on Move Day — Do plan on being there on move day to direct movers at your old home or new home if you can’t be there.
- DON’T Wait Too Long — Don’t assume movers will be available on the day you need to move. Book 4-6 weeks ahead if possible.
- DON’T Hire Just Anyone — Don’t hire movers you haven’t met with or have not been recommended by people you trust. Watch for red flags. Learn more at www.ProtectYourMove.gov
- DON’T Pack Last Minute — Don’t leave packing until the last minute. It will add to the cost of your move if your movers were not hired to pack.
- DON’T Forget Treasures — Don’t forget to pack/purge contents from storage areas, attics, sheds and offsite storage. Keep a file of important documents with you while you move so that they are less likely to get lost in the shuffle.
- DON’T Fail to Communicate — Don’t call movers at the last minute with significant changes to your move. Not only may it cost more but they may not be able to accommodate the changes.
Questions? Just give us a call at (845) 209-1560! Or fill out our form online and a member of our team will reach out to you.