Fall home decluttering tips to use now!
Whether you are planning to move or are just getting ready for fall holiday guests, you’ve realized you have a lot of stuff. The time to organize and declutter is now.
Here are 9 tips for decluttering your home before the holidays arrive.
- Plan a date to put outdoor summer items away early – earlier than you think. It’s much easier putting them away while the sun is shining and it’s relatively warm than waiting until it’s dark at 4 pm.
- If you’re storing items for others, set a date in the very near future for them to pick them up. It might be emotional for them and they might push the date out, so start early and set a date you will get rid of the items if they are not picked up.
- Decide if you will really use each item next spring/summer. Now’s your chance to pass it along. Clutter is created by postponing decisions.
- DeClutter currently stored items and clothing before putting away the items you are planning on storing for the winter. Keep in mind, some donation locations only accept the current seasonal items.
- Do not accept items out of guilt that you don’t want from family members who are doing their own fall organizing. Thank them for thinking of you and ask them to pass that item on to someone else.
- Ensure your personal paperwork is in order: wills, living wills, health care directives, etc. Discuss so all family members are clear about your choices.
- Donate summer/fall clothes that no longer serve your station in life, no longer fit, or are dated. Check with your favorite charity to see if they take out-of-season clothing.
- Look at donations from your DeCluttering efforts as helping someone who could use your extra items to improve their life.
- If you are overwhelmed by your DeCluttering task ASK FOR HELP, it’s hard work physically and emotionally. Teamwork is best.
These decluttering tips were provided courtesy of decluttering specialist, Deirdre Dolan Nesline of DeClutter By Deirdre, A Senior Move Management Company.
DeClutter By Deirdre is committed to assisting people & their families who struggle with where to start and complete De-Cluttering and organizing their homes so they can de-stress and enjoy a full life without extra burdens they could not previously tackle on their own. She is a member of the National Association of Senior Move Managers, Coalition of Agencies Relating to Elderly Services, Connecticut Geriatric Society, Senior Care Resources of Western Connecticut and Treasurer for Friends of Newtown Seniors.
For more information, please visit www.DeClutterByDeirdre.com